We are all hearing about CoronaVirus COVID-19 and have a ton of questions. But the bottom line is, How do I protect myself from the coronavirus? You will find all your answers you are looking for here. Keep scrolling.
Who am I?
Hi, I’m Meg. I’ve been a Registered nurse for 10 years. I’ve worked in the emergency room, cardiovascular stepdown, med-surg and rehab. I’ve worked on infection control commitees and department quality counsels.
I have a passion for helping others help themselves. I want to help people get healthier. I want to help nurses become better nurses. I love seeing other people succeed! It’s the main reason I started this blog. I want to help you understand the Coronavirus.
What is Coronavirus?
This coronavirus is a new coronavirus that has not been previously identified. The virus causing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), is not the same as the coronaviruses that cause the common cold. This virus was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China. The first infections were linked to a live animal market, but this respiratory virus is now spreading from person-to-person.
The following symptoms of coronavirus may appear 2-14 days after exposure.
- shortness of breath
- sore throat
- rapid heart rate
- chest pain
- kidney failure
There is no vaccine for coronavirus. There is NO cure for the Coronavirus. If you are infected with COVID-19, you will receive supportive care to help relieve symptoms. Just as if you had a common cold or the flu. But in more severe cases, you will be hospitalized and your “treatment” will be in the form of vital organ function support. (Ventilator, dialysis, etc.)
The virus that causes COVID-19 seems to be spreading easily. It is highly contagious. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread from person-to-person through respiratory droplets. But not always.
It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.
Animals may be carriers of this virus. They maybe able to spread it to humans via droplets as well.
MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE VIRUS HERE:
How Do I Protect Myself from Coronavirus?
Basics for preventing Coronavirus:
- Avoid contact with sick people
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw it away!
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces.
- Wear a facemask to prevent spread of coronavirus.
- MOST IMPORTANT: Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Hand sanitizer a second place less effective option for washing your hands.
Wash your hands if you have contact with animals! If you eat animals, cook it throughly before consuming. This is an under researched avenue of the virus and we don’t know enough about how/if animals can transmit it. So be careful around furry friends. Maybe go vegan for a while?
Someone who is actively sick with COVID-19 can spread the illness to others. That is why these patients should be isolated until they are better and no longer pose a risk of infecting others.
Current the CDC guidance for when it is OK to release someone from isolation is made on a case by case basis. But here are some general guidelines:
- The person is free from fever
- The person is no longer showing symptoms, including a cough
- The patient has tested negative on at least 2 separate respiratory tests collected 24 hours apart.
Stop buying all the toilet paper at Costco. Stop filling your house with bottled water and masks. None of this will protect you from the virus. Prevention is key. Keep yourself from getting it in the first place.
Strengthen Your Immune System to Fight Off Coronavirus COVID-19
The best way to support your immune system is to:
- Get enough sleep. You body resets when you sleep. Get at least 6-8 hours of sleep.
- Eat fruits and vegetables. Everyone knows the vitamins and minerals naturally occurring on earth do wonders for your immune system cells.
- Don’t smoke.
- Don’t drink alcohol excessively.
- Minimize your stress perception. (plenty of yoga, meditation, less screen time, more quiet time.)
- Exercise. A brisk walk daily is enough to boost immunity.
Coronavirus COVID-19 Updates
Don’t live in fear, live in education and updates. That is what will serve you and your family best.
To stay updated, you can always check the “World Health Organization” reports. They update it everyday. The situation reports only gives the facts: the countries that have reported cases, how many are infected, how many have died, and how many are suspected.
Thanks for reading this article and being willing to learn more. Pandemics are real. It’s something to be educated and fight with prevention and not paranoia. I can’t type this and DM this enough: wash your hands!!!!! Where ever you are, as often as you can, wash your hands! This is the number 1 way to prevent any contagious illness.
Thanks again for stopping by. Let me know in the comments where you are visiting from and how the Coronavirus is effecting you!
If ANYONE thinks they may have been exposed to COVID-19, they should contact their doctor or a doctor immediately. Better safe then sorry, especially in an outbreak!
Check out my course: HOW TO GIVE THE BEST REPORT.
The 8 Modules in this course teach you to:
– Initiate Report
– Courteous Tips the Next Shift Won’t Tell You
– Give Perfect Concise Report
– How to Call & Talk to Doctors
– How to Give Report to other Facilities
– How to Give Report when Going on Break
– How to Give Report to Other Floors
The post How to NOT get OR SPREAD the CoronaVirus COVID-19 | Real & Practical Ways to Protect Yourself appeared first on MEGFORIT.